Wednesday 8 February 2012

Hipster Humpday 4: Wintersleep

      Have you seen my ghost? Its really a good question, I think the tea is the only thing keeping me on this earth today, I have five hours of class starting at noon and I got maybe four hours of sleep last night, so please follow me down the narrow tunnel of sleep vision to today's post.

     Halifax, Nova Scotia, is apparently a breeding ground for indie/folk groups, don't ask me who else started there but I'm sure someone did. Anyway a week or so ago I was bored enough to watch Flashpoint, which was a good idea because both times I've seen that show the outro song is amazing, this time it happened to be Search Party By Wintersleep of the 2007 album Welcome to the Night Sky. This album tore me up...

I used to dream about saving the world 
Now i just dream about the holidays 
I used to write so many songs for my girl 
Now i just dream about floating away



     You can't get any more soulful without a permit. Very powerful stuff but its not only the lyrics and the eastern Canadian accent that make this album amazing, the guitars and drums are grade A indie rock, bordering on post rock which adds a whole new element to the songs. I don't have anything bad to say about Wintersleep, I'm glad to be Canadian and good sirs, your music has the power to touch hearts of stone, keep it up.



     Also please check out their website for bonus tracks from WTTNS and the headline track from their new album, and if you have a minute head on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, much obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment