Thursday 15 September 2011

Rainy Day Tunes: Joel Strauss

I finally managed to post something on time. I'm doing this in lieu of doing my readings and organizing my time as I should, but hey, sometimes you need a break.

This past Saturday (I can't believe that's almost a week ago now...), I went to a small concert nearby. First up was the young man that I am writing about for you today. He's a student at the university I attend, and just a little earlier this evening I could hear him in a room a floor down and across the hall from mine singing and playing his guitar, which is always a nice atmospheric touch to my studying.

Joel Strauss is what I would call a unique artist. He is not so "outgoing" and "sociable" as one may assume a musician would be, but neither he is reserved and quiet. I think it's quite a great balance actually. On top of it all, he's a genuinely nice person and an amazing artist (I mean musically...I have never seen any other art form from him, so I wouldn't count it out, but that's not my focus, haha). I was blown away by his lyrics and his sound when I heard him live, and I feel honoured to be at a school with such a talented person.

I had C. listen to some of the songs last night, and I really liked the way that he described the first song, "Beyond my Flesh and Bone." He said, "It has a nice feeling to it...melancholy but hopeful." I think that's the way that a lot of his songs come across. Some of them are very catchy, and often keep my mind captive for hours on end.

I do not have a current video for you to listen to straight from this page, so I decided to just leave it out altogether, rather than using an outdated video, but if you go to his Bandcamp site, then you can listen to all of the tracks on this album and if you like it enough or just feel so inclined, you can purchase the album there as well. Purchase it. Listen to it. Love it! I think it's worth it. So common! Support the artist this time, please! :)


Thanks for the support everyone! Keep on checking in here for more great music! Remember you can check us out on Facebook too!

Ciao,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment