Friday 20 May 2011

Feature Friday : End of the World Edition : Tyr

     Well if you subscribe to sensationalist theories about the world ending around 2pm today then we've got a treat for you, and you need a soundtrack for the hasty preparations you have before meeting your end. First off let me say I'm completely pumped for finding out what happens later as I will be scooting up north on the highway with my dad blaring viking metal and loving life. It really makes me not want to go to class today but at least writing this the night before gives me enough time to actually do some drinking after class and before the world ends.

     Way back in ancient times (1998), in the Faroe Islands, a band of vikings picked up guitars and rose their voices to Asgard in hopes of channeling the ancient god of war, Tyr. Their accomplices at Napalm records need more slaves so they let this band of musical marauders loose upon the unsuspecting world.

     A couple years ago I invested in an issue of Metal Hammer that had a battle metal sampler disc as an extra, I can truthfully say that Tyr was the only band that stood out from the rest of the folk metal. Since then I have been on the look out for any of their records whenever I hit the old record store. Suddenly realizing my foolishness, I pulled a mediafire for their second newest album, By the Light of the Northern Star. My life has been made. Full to the brim with driving guitar riffs and some of the most fanciful drumming I've heard in a long time, this album takes me back to my inner norseman. What better music to end the world with??

"By the sword in my hand I will conquer the land"


     I apologize for the short post today, but end of the world and all that jazz, bet they won't care about the copyright infringements and such either. So if the world isn't going to shit put on your chain mail and hoist the sails, cause we'll still be holding the heathen hammer high!

No comments:

Post a Comment