Wednesday 27 July 2011

Hipster Humpday : Akron/Family and Portugal. The Man

    First off the title doesn't mean if you use Vimeo and only listen to artists that are dead you get to hump anything, its just me trying to ween you guys off metal for the day.

      Last week you may remember I took a two day hiatus to see some friends and do some soul searching. I know, two days isn't much but a lot was accomplished. The first day once I got out from under the disdainful eyes of my mother was spent with a dear friend in bookstores and along rivers, on trails and cruising down country roads. We spent a long time sitting on the edge of the Grand river skipping stones and talking life while Akron/Family softly played from his headphones.

     Akron/Family is a folk influenced experimental rock band whose member live across America. Facebook describes them as a form of dramatic expression, and that is the most truthful thing I've heard all day.


     Experimental music is very hard to explain without actually hearing it. So first off let me encourage you to at least look into this amazing band before you move on, and better than that download two of their albums above, it may be exactly what you need. 

     Soft vocals and guitars, eerie organs and many other sensational instruments will caress your senses and leave you in a rainy day mood, let you sit down and think. I know since I first received one of their songs from a friend of mine back in the Dropbox days Akron/Family has encouraged me to take life slowly and progressively, I encourage you to do the same. Bands like this make me proud to have helped you experience them and sort of guilty for letting people download them for free, but truthfully good luck finding them in your local HMV. 



     The second band holding me together today is 
Portugal. The Man. Almost in the same group as Akron/Family, but only in the same sense as peanut butter is in the same grouping as jam. PTM is an alt-rock (and I use that term loosely) group from Alaska. Again I have to thank an old friend, for if you had not invited me to a dropbox session, I would be without so many amazing albums and so much musical knowledge.  


     Portugal takes the ingenuity of A/F and upgrades it to a more everyday friendly sound. My mind took a long time today to process that sound and to me its as if The Beatles and MGMT met and somehow had a lovechild. If you take the time to download the album, the password is pop-to-core.blogspot.com and this link will take you to a page with all of their albums for free, its definitely worth it.


     I apologize for making the first section a story and doing no justice to Portugal. The Man, but my artistic feelings quickly fade, usually after the first artist. I encourage you to listen to and download the music we shared today. As always this music is intended as a preview and you should probably go buy it and support the artist. Please like our page on Facebook for up to date info and other awesome stuff, also if you have suggestions I would love to hear from you as I'm quickly running out of material. Hopefully I have inspired you to do some thinking or maybe some searching for your rainy day music, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment