Saturday 23 July 2011

Review : Dream Jefferson - Punch Perm

     If you remember a couple months ago I snuffled through a cold and completely destroyed any self respect I had by butchering a post about Dream Jefferson. Sadly enough I didn't expect anyone to see it let alone Corboe and Owel, their labelmate Danny Deleto, and their record label crew... I butchered it completely. So today lets see if I can redeem myself and spread the word.

     Its amazing really how they've managed to capture the first moment you hear their music in the label art and I'm not the first to say that. I've been a fan of Dream Jefferson since their debut album Sasquatch Bury Their Dead. Since then I've explored almost everything that's been done under Rifle Eyes Music, featuring at least 1, 2, 3 other ear raping artists here on the blog and saving the rest for the most opportune moment. I feel like there should be a break into another paragraph here but I'm done taking English probably forever. So grammar aside we can get into the meat of the post as it were. Consisting of two Canadian rappers, Corboe and Owel Five, Dream Jeff has a flow like no other. Thier newest tracks feature lyrics about the royal wedding, the X-Men, and Final Fantasy and Beyonce in the same song, and it doesn't stop there. With the amount of generic rap that's oozing out the radio these days isn't it nice to have something that will hit mainstream media when hell freezes? Their sound has evolved into something a bit more new age, with synths and backup vocals not very apparent in their debut, but I guarantee it will stick the name Dream Jefferson in the mind of everyone who hears it. I think I should end this on the note that I'm not amused at having missed the release party in Ottawa but making this EP free kind of makes up for it.

"Couldn't get a grip with a wish and a fat chance..."
(Click to download from Bandcamp)


Tracklist

The Danger Room
Embrace Before The Fall
The Seed & The Sower
All Things Shining




No comments:

Post a Comment